BTEC Level 1/2 First Award in Sport
- This course is right for you if you are motivated and challenged by learning through hands-on experience
- Great for those interested in Sport, Exercise and Health and Fitness
- Training programmes and body systems are key to this course
- This qualification is great if you are looking for an introduction to the knowledge, understanding and skills needed in the health and fitness industry.
What will I study and how will I be assessed?
This qualification shows you how:
- The body systems enable us to train, exercise and perform sports.
- Fitness is beneficial to health.
- To produce and review a personal fitness programme.
- To set, implement and review goals to improve fitness and performance.
The course is made up of 4 units:
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Sports Performance
- Applying the Principles of Personal Training
- The Mind and Sports Performance
Unit 1 has an on-screen exam which lasts 1 hour and 15 minutes based on the body systems, components of fitness and the principles of training.
Unit 2 looks at the rules, regulations and practical skill sets required to compete in 2 sports. It is not essential that you are a high ability performer to be successful in this unit.
Unit 3 requires you to produce a training programme to improve fitness along with a knowledge of the body systems and how these develop with training.
Unit 4 looks at the psychology of sports performance and our approach to sports and fitness.
What will I do in lessons?
There are three lessons per week. Two of these will be theory based in a classroom setting and the other will be a practical lesson although this may vary depending on the unit being covered. These lessons will be varied and have topic areas which include Body systems, Components of fitness, Training methods, Fitness programming, Motivation and Personality.
Where can BTEC Sport take me?
A BTEC in Sport leads onto many further qualifications and careers. Level 3 courses in Sport, Fitness Instruction, Coaching and Sports Science to name but a few! Careers in Teaching, Sports Psychology, Coaching, Fitness Instruction and Physiotherapy await!